Monday, October 22, 2007

Five

The Monsoon socks are coming right along. I have turned the heel, and am about halfway up the leg:




Sez The Man: exactly what appendage are you attempting to clothe anyway? I agree; the short-row toe bears an unfortunate resemblance to something my mother does not have. Once it’s on the foot, however, it looks like a sock for the foot. Plus, Mother of Dirtbunny will find it funny. She, after all, is the one who refers to cookies as either male or female depending on whether or not they contain nuts.

Sock Club Socks: I’ve done the first cuff and four out of five repeats on the second cuff.

Secret project: I have completed phase one. I finally got gauge, sort of, and can block it the rest of the way. So one down, three to go on that.

Fair Isle dog sweater: The body is done, about two-thirds of the ends are woven in, I only need to edge the armholes, and it is beautiful.


My first-ever fair isle. Gorgeous.

At this point, I am going to rat out The Man for one of his most vexing character flaws. He is a muggle, which is what the Yarn Harlot calls non-knitters. When he saw this fabulous work of art, he was complimentary, but that was it. He doesn’t get it. He has no clue that this dog sweater represents not just a work of incredible beauty, but (being Bunny’s first-ever attempt at Fair Isle and having come out flawlessly) also reflects Bunny’s mad knitting skillz and ginormous talent. Bunny can sight-read a pattern and come up with something spectacular using a technique she has never tried before. Bunny is a goddess. The Man’s mere compliments were not nearly effusive enough to reflect his understanding of Bunny’s genius for the art and science of turning string into clothes. I know I'm not the only knitter-married-to-a-muggle who has experienced this. Knitting can be a very lonely life without other knitters.

We shan’t mention that the dog sweater does not fit, because we will block it until it does fit, she said hopefully.

Cast on plain socks from the Tofu yarn because I need something I can knit in waiting rooms while my eyes are dilated this week.

No comments: