Saturday, September 6, 2008

Sometimes I can't believe I spend money on therapy

My therapist has suggested to me that perhaps I should try going without TV and knitting for a week and see what happens if I just feel my feelings, because I have a lot of unfocused rage. I have been thinking about this, but not doing it.
  1. We have Dexter Season 2 on DVD in the house. And there's football all weekend. And tennis. And a rerun of Chuck. Maybe I'll give up TV for a day on Monday.
  2. We don't have any guns in this house, but we have lots of lovely, high-quality knives, and I know how to use them. I'm also really, really, really dramatic. Let's not mess around too much with unfocused rage, or I could end up tearing around the neighborhood like Norman Bates.
  3. Why in the hell would I give up knitting? I love knitting! OK, maybe sometimes I get a little compulsive about it and not every project on the needles is equally fun and sometimes it does get a little bit like an item on my endless to-do list (Saturday: finish bottom ribbing of the front of The Man's red sweater, do 2 repeats on the cable trim of the fuzzy purple hat, finish heel flap of first hunter orange sock and set up leg pattern, knit to the next buttonhole on The Bean's sweater, work the next section of Secret Project Phobos, swatch winter cardigan, etc). Maybe this is not the best way to enjoy knitting. Maybe I can come up with a better way. But I ain't quitting, no how, no way.

I've taken very few knitting photos lately, so all I have to show you is the fuzzy purple hat:


It is not fun. I don't like the mohair and I'm not in love with the color combination of the lilac mohair with purple worsted wool. But it is Ye Olde Yarne, so making progress at finishing off the mohair is giving me some small satisfaction. But I'm done with it for today, and I promise only to work on fun stuff for the rest of the day.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

If the choice is knitting versus high-quality knives, I choose knitting. Purely a self-interested view, but just wanted to be on the record.

Dirtbunny said...

Bunny is confused. Is this comment from The Man? Does he not realize that good knives contribute to good cooking? And that well-behaved and kind little boys have nothing to fear from unfocused rage?