Thursday, May 28, 2009

Table IV: Swatchy Socky Jinxey Pammie

As you may recall, I went stash diving and yarn shopping recently, and I am trying to make sense of what is on the table so I can actually choose something to work on. I am a little worried that the end result of all this is going to be lace, but we'll see.


First, Swatchy:




Can't knit a sweater unless you know the gauge, and can't know gauge unless you are a savant with major social problems-----I mean unless you knit a swatch. So swatch ahoy.



Next, Socky:




The May sock club sock came the other day, so I was inspired to cast on the March sock club sock, which you can see here on the top. It does not involve embroidery, as I had feared, but every sixth row requires me to make a rosebud, which isn't all that hard, but my rosebuds don't look very much like the rosebuds in the photo. Also, the pattern was designed by the Yarn Harlot, and she is shall we say a little OCD in the best possible way and that means that the winding twining rose pattern goes in different directions on the left and right sock. Sigh. She's right. It should be this way. But the end result is a few ticks in difficulty away from mindless monkey knitting. Speaking of which, I needed some no-look mindless monkey knitting to do at Stitch and Pitch last weekend, so I cast on a plain self-patterning sock, which you see here on the bottom.




Three, Jinxey:













That's right. No photo. I have been stocking up on some nice Cascade 220 in appropriate team colors for various national futbol teams in anticipation of World Cup 2010. (It's like "Magna Carta." The snobs--I mean cognoscenti speak it without the definite article.) Qualifiers are ongoing, so I have probably cast a jinx on certain teams that shall remain nameless. This stuff is all going into opaque bags and into the closet where we will not mention them---Nay!----think of them until qualifiers are over. La la la. Moving on.






D, Pammie:


Let's say you have a friend whom you love very much. She's a knitter, but she doesn't knit anything for herself. She knits a little for people she knows, but mostly, she knits for charity. She has taken a good look around this crappy world and decided that she is one lucky girl and there but for the grace of God, etc. she could succumb to her mental illness and be destitute and unsafe and on the street. Let's say you and everyone else who knows her admire her for her compassion for the less fortunate. Let's say you feel selfish by comparison. Then let's say your friend enters a dark time and decides she can't see any way back into the light so she kills herself. After the dust settles from this horrible shock and pain, let's say you end up with some of her yarn. What on earth do you do with her yarn?


Those are some odds and ends of a pretty decent quality acrylic from Pammie, plus a ball of yellow I got at Stitch and Pitch. Given the amounts I have, the Stitch and Pitch charity project is perfect for Pammie's yarn, and I think she would approve. I really miss her.

No comments: