Saturday, December 22, 2007

Goodbye Secret Project


I can now come clean about the secret knitting project because it is no longer a secret. A group of six of us at the Teeny Tiny Government Entity meet at lunch time every Tuesday to knit. Our circle has changed over the past few years as people have come and gone. Our best knitter decamped for the Left Coast and that leaves me as the most fearless knitter remaining. We all have different skill levels and experience. I have been knitting since I was a child, I do the most patterns and color work (not much color work, though), I knit socks on DPNs and that freaks out some of my friends. I am not afraid to rip out a substantial amount of work or even a whole garment if it doesn't turn out right. But I would not say I am the best knitter. There are others who do more precise, regular stitch work and smoother, more even finishing.

Anyway, our Kathleen is retiring in a few days, and we got together and decided to make her a blanket:



We each knit some of the squares in whatever patterns we wanted, and then we edged them in crochet, sewed them together, and did some more edging around the finished product. It turned out wonderfully. I am so proud of us. Kathleen was moved. I had to prod her to stop hugging it to herself so we could unfold it and photograph it. I'm thrilled she liked it. But what I am most proud of is how the members of the circle each pushed her comfort level and became a little more fearless by trying out new patterns. People are getting more excited about doing more complicated work. We're growing. It's so exciting and I'm so proud of everyone.

No comments: