Sunday, February 17, 2008

The Week in Yarn

At this moment, the Wahoos are leading their opponent, so it's a good time to get up from the sofa and record the week in yarn. If I don't go back to the game later, then the hapless and pathetic Wahoos can remain evergreen in my memory.



I have made The Man his own version of the ridiculous green hat. His is blue, made from leftover yarn that matches his recent Man Mittens.





I offered to make the braids yellow, so he could pretend he's Heidi Klum. He said no thanks. I said he didn't have to pretend he was Heidi Klum; he could just pretend he was wearing her scalp as a hat. Again with the no thanks. I have a hard time finding people to play with around here.

I have started some new socks.



These are a simple k3, p1 ribbed socks with contrasting cuff, heel, and toe. If you have been paying obsessive attention, and you probably haven't, then you will have noticed that these socks mark a certain event in the history of Bunny's on-deck circle. Here's a hint.

And I have made excellent progress on the October sock club sock:

I like the yarn. I don't mind much that the dye leaves a little bruise-looking mark near my thumb when I knit with it. I like the pattern. It has lace, but the bulk of it is at the cuff so I am not forced to carry around the pattern with me everywhere. The leg and foot have an easy-to-memorize ribbed lace pattern so it all goes pretty quickly so I don't have to pay great attention to it. Maybe I should pay a little better attention because I ended up with an extra stitch on the last round.

So.... Notice anything special about that photo?

Yes, pretty lace, but that's not what I meant. Notice anything else?

That's right. That's one sorry-ass bent needle. Actually, three of the five needles I have in this size are bent. They are 2.5mm size U.S. 1 1/2. Nice and obscure. Not available everywhere. The Man took me to both crappy craft shops looking for a replacement because they are closer than any of the yarn stores. No luck. I got these online at simply socks. I could get more, but all they have are bamboo and I don't want any more bent bamboo. I want metal! But not the really expensive addi turbos.

Yarn Harlot, as always, has the answer. She mentions sometimes that she gets some basic sock supplies from a certain somewhere. I've got the fancy fibers covered nicely, but I don't have a good source for the basics. So I looked up her source. Voila! I've ordered me a nice inexpensive set of metal DPNs in assorted sock sizes from Knit Picks. I ponied up for the extra fast shipping too because knitting with bent needles makes me nuts.

P.S. Spell-check isn't wrking today and I'm too lazy to proofread. Deal with it.

P.P.S. I keep typing "cocks" instead of "socks" today.

No comments: