Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Old Friends, New Rules

We are moving on here Chez Nous to exciting new knitting projects, because the lame, boring ones are finished.

Here are some Man Mittens fashioned from leftover yarn. No they are not the same size. Custom-fit mittens for custom-designed Man hands.



Here is the purple cardigan. Plain stockinette stitch, saddle shoulders, and a plain garter stitch neckband. No buttons. Nice and heavy and warm. Of course, now that it's done, it's 70 degrees outside. It figures.


Beagle blanket. Some of that white stuff is lint from the dog beds, where the wubbie (as we now call it) has been enjoyed for two nights now. Some of that white stuff is the mattress peeking through lace.

I have only one project active now. Grey Man socks from leftover yarn. There is satisfaction to be obtained from using up leftovers. I get to feel frugal, and I get to free up space otherwise occupied by leftover yarn. The thing is, I have plenty of beautiful new yarn in the stash. Old yarn is boring, and I've been focused too much on it. New rule: only one leftover yarn project at a time. Because I am working the Grey Man Socks, that means my next project is a new yarn project.

No problem. Remember this? The October sock club sock. I have wound the yarn and read the lengthy advice about gauge and sizing (which has me quite confused about what I should do). I also have the December sock club sock and the January sock club sock to do. I am compulsive enough to have a need to work them in order. FIFO and all that. But, one of my knitting circle buddies is new to the sock club and is working the January sock. I am competitive enough to want to finish mine before she finishes hers. (Don't change what you're doing, Mel. This is my issue, not yours.)

This poses quite a dilemma for the Bunny. I am trying to be more flexible and less neurotic. Working October first means succumbing to the compulsive FIFO-ness side of me. Working January first means succumbing to the Memememememe! side of me. Both are neurotic. Perhaps the thing to do here is neither: start the December sock first. Of course, making a conscious decision after attaching so much importance and meaning to the various choices is in itself neurotic. I can't win.


By the way, when my December sock arrived, The Man mistook it for a Christmas present he ordered for me. Yup, it's yarn, I must have ordered this for her. He wrapped it and put it under the tree for me. It never occurred to him to actually look at it and notice that it wasn't the yarn he ordered, it wasn't from the yarn company he ordered from, and it had all sorts of sock club instructions and documentation accompanying it. Yarn is yarn. Muggle.

No comments: