Tuesday, June 3, 2008

This is Bullshit (Again)

So I'm knitting away happily on a hat for The Bean. It's a cute little seed stitch number and it looks all lovely in that pretty STR in "rose quartz." Seed stitch is a little tedious, but I'm loving the way it looks. And I get to the part where I have to make decreases for the top, and I encounter this in the pattern:

SK2P

This term is not defined. However, "SKP" is: Slip, knit, pass slipped stitch over.

Bunny reasons her way through it. SK2p must mean slip, knit 2, pass slipped stitch over the two knitted stitches. And so I do and I get to the end of the row and I have 62 stitches. But I'm supposed to have 56 stitches. So I tink a row and contemplate where I went wrong.

Eureka! SK2P means slip, knit 2 together, pass slipped stitch over.

So I give that a go and I think it's not going to work but it turns out that the problem is that I can't count and in the end I come up with 56 stitches like I'm supposed to and all is well.

Breathing in, I am a flower. Breathing out, I am fresh.

Designers and pattern writers, can we please all agree that knitters should not have to intuit the meaning of abbreviations? That lists of abbreviations and their definitions should be comprehensive enough to actually cover all the abbreviations used in the patterns?

I shouldn't need a manifesto to cover this obvious point but, well, there you go.

No comments: