Saturday, January 5, 2008

Not getting very far

The holiday is over, and we're even starting to take down some decorations. I knit, but I also did a lot of sleeping, so I haven't finished anything. I have made progress on some old so-called friends:




There she is, ye olde beagle blanket. Two-thirds done. My mother took a good look at this and wondered why in the world anyone would knit anything this fancy for a dog. This is why. So I'm crazy. At least I'm not wandering the streets harassing people.


And now a message from The Department of Apples Falling Not Very Far From Trees:


This is my green blankie. You've seen it before here. My mommy knit it for me out of cheap crappy acrylic yarn around fifteen years ago. I love it. It is my favorite color and I use it almost every day in cold weather. The boys love it too. When it starts to smell funny, I throw it in the wash. It has no natural fibers whatsoever, so it goes in and out of the dryer on the low cycle in about 20 minutes.
When I was visiting over the holiday, my mother was knitting. What was she knitting with? I'm glad you asked. She was knitting with leftover crappy acrylic yarn from the year she made my green blankie, and my brothers blue blankies.
16 oz. for $4.99
proclaimed the label proudly. She can't part with her 15-year-old acrylic. Draw your own conclusions.
And now back to our regular post.

This is my purple cardigan. The careless tossing about of pieces parts on the table and the bad photography reflects pretty well how I felt about it that day. The fronts ended up about four inches longer than the back. Not good. I ripped them back and reworked them, painstakingly measuring them after every other row.

Did you know that one row of knitting can measure 1/2 inch, and two rows of knitting can measure 1/2 inch and 4 rows of knitting can measure 1/2 inch and six rows of knitting can measure 4 inches all from the same yarn and at the same gauge?

Let's just say this: The fronts are (finally) more or less the same length and the fronts more or less are (finally) a roughly comparable size to the back. Fuck it. I'm not frogging it again. On to the sleeves.

No comments: