Thursday, July 31, 2008

Finishing up

Last night, while watching a cable special on Fifa World Cup 2006, I finished the knitting part of Froggy. I was so engrossed in watching Forza Azzuri beat Les Bleus (again) that neither The Man nor I noticed Yarn Bandit taking a big dump on the rug not four feet in front of us, and less than 10 minutes after returning from a walk, I might add. What's a fuzzy little guy have to do to get any attention around here?


I went to the eye doctor today, and after an earnest but depressing discussion about bifocals (not yet, not yet), I hadn't the life force in me to sew seams. I could knit, but not seam. Still, I wanted a project that would give me great joy to finish, and so I completed...





...the blue mohair hat. This yarn is lovely. The photo isn't at all up to the beauty of the color. I do love the dyer at Mountain Yarns. However, I am not sorry to be done with this. I did not enjoy working with mohair. It was hairy and sticky and slow going, even with slippery needles. The pattern I used called for a band of cables to go around the bottom, but I ran out of yarn for that, so it's a plain 3x2 rib. Pretty, but not what I had in my head when I started.


The good news is have I have two more skeins of this mohair--one in a raspberry red and one in lilac. Maybe if I use one strand of the mohair along with one strand of a nice plain wool in a matching color, it will be easier to work with and give me better stitch definition plus some fuzziness. Maybe not. This is art, not science, and no one goes to jail if it doesn't turn out right. Still, though, I am done with the mohair for now. The rest can sit in the stash. I have some deadline knitting to do and Froggy to finish.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What would knitting jail be like? I bet the prison blankets are extra snuggly!

Dirtbunny said...

That's an excellent question. What WOULD knitting jail be like?